Errata ID: 5853
Publication Format(s) : TEXT
Reported By: Luca BRUNO
Date Reported: 2019-09-05
Section 11 says:
Note: No "charset" parameter is defined for this registration. Adding one really has no effect on compliant recipients.
It should say:
Note: No "charset" parameter is defined for this registration. JSON text is encoded as described in RFC 8259, Section 8.1.
Last sentence of last note of section 11 should be amended, as it introduces confusion by going against other explicit statements, like the followings:
* RFC8259 sect. 8.1 defines that inner encoding is UTF-8
* RFC8259 sect. 11 defines no formal (optional/required) parameters for this registered type
* RFC6838 sect. 4.2.1 defines the common usage of a "charset" parameter as a "required" one (which isn't the case here)
* RFC6838 sect. 4.2.1 defines that "charset" should not be used if the inner payload already transports charset information (e.g. mandatory UTF-8, which is the case here)
* RFC6838 sect. 4.2.1 defines a "charset" parameter only for subtypes of the "text/*" hierarchy (which isn't the case here)