[rfc-i] Too soon [was: Removing postal information from RFCs [was: Changes to the v3 <postal> element]]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:37:44 PDT 2021

On 12-Jun-21 15:36, John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Larry Masinter  <masinter at gmail.com> said:
>> Identity metadata is data the author supplied to establish their identity.  Whether you could send postal mail to the person isn’t the point.
>
> I don't get it.  Given that the IETF has never verified anything about RFC authors other than their e-mail addresses,
> what difference does it make if they provide a street address?  What if
I just made one up?  Or in my case, since I live
> in a small town, I could provide an address what has everything but the
town wrong and I'd get any mail sent to me anyway.

It's even better. Once when I lived in Switzerland I got a very late Christmas card that had been redirected from Swaziland.

The postal address *in itself* cannot really matter. When it comes to identity for IPR reasons, look at what patents say: you see things like "<name> Durham, NC (US)" or "<name> Kilchberg (CH)". I assume the USPTO thought this through at some time, and not recently. One of my uncles got a US
patent in 1951 and he's identified as "<name> Harrow, England".

   Brian