[rfc-i] Too soon [was: Removing postal information from RFCs [was: Changes to the v3 <postal> element]]

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jun 11 20:36:06 PDT 2021

It appears that Larry Masinter  <masinter at gmail.com> said:
>Identity metadata is data the author supplied to establish their identity.  Whether you could send postal mail to the person isn’t the point.

I don't get it.  Given that the IETF has never verified anything about RFC authors other than their e-mail addresses,
what difference does it make if they provide a street address?  What if I just made one up?  Or in my case, since I live
in a small town, I could provide an address what has everything but the town wrong and I'd get any mail sent to me anyway.

R's,
John