[rfc-i] Changes to the v3 <postal> element

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Fri Jun 11 02:42:14 PDT 2021

I have a lot of sympathy with what John is proposing here, discussions about the proper process (important!) notwithstanding.

> On 2021-06-11, at 01:54, John R Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
>
> The one part we care most about from <postal/> is <country/>.  This enables
> people to do things like gather statistics about where RFCs originate, such as
> https://www.arkko.com/tools/rfcstats/d-countrydistr.html

The problem with doing this is that it removes the postalLine alternative.
Or, the other way around, if we want to preserve postalLine, we make country inaccessible to those that use postalLine.

   postal =
     element postal {
       attribute xml:base { text }?,
       attribute xml:lang { text }?,
       (( city | cityarea | code | country | extaddr | pobox | region
          | sortingcode | street)*
        | postalLine+)
     }

So if we want to have a country, let’s please extract that from postal, deprecate postal in total (or everything except postalLine), and put the country beside the postal address.

(There are also some countries that need cities to understand which territory you are really in, but that is a whole different discussion.)

Grüße, Carsten