[rfc-i] Too soon [was: Removing postal information from RFCs [was: Changes to the v3 <postal> element]]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 22:10:38 PDT 2021

Upping the level one more notch:
On 11-Jun-21 14:59, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>>> You claimed that lack of evidence was justification for this change. I was asking if that was informed lack of evidence, or just lack of asking.
>>
>> I'm asking.  If anyone thinks that the physical postal address is important
>
> I do.
>

>> and worth the editors spending time on, let us know.
>
> Given that we're already spending time on it, I think we've crossed that bridge.

I detect an obvious lack of consensus here, so a community process is needed, and we don't have one yet. So IMHO this can has to be kicked down the road until the RSE discussions have been resolved.

(FWIW I have never received paper mail in my life about any RFC that I've co-authored, but of course it is essential to give an attribution and enough of an address to distinguish one person from another. We've had at least one case of two people with the same name and the same employer, and at least one of them is an RFC author.)

    Brian