[rfc-i] Changes to the v3 <postal> element

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Jun 10 20:13:29 PDT 2021

Am 11.06.2021 um 01:54 schrieb John R Levine:
> One of the changes to the xml v3 grammar since RFC 7991 is a new
> <code>. To render addresses we use a python library that depends on an

That is misleading. Most of these elements date back to RFC 2629. RFC
7991 has added <postalLine> which allows authors to format their
information the way to want it, instead of having to live with the baked
in address formatter.

> open source address database originally from Google.  While tracking
> down a rendering bug, we found that the rendering database is not
> actively maintained and has a long list of unresolved pull requests.  We
> don't know of any other reliable source of rendering patterns.

+1, that's indeed a problem.

> But we don't see a strong reason for readers to need the full postal
> address
> for RFC authors. Anecdotally, on rare occasions readers have used the
> postal
> address but (a) the email address is primary since <postal/> is optional
> and

Strictly speaking, <email> is optional as well. We may want to require it.

Best regards, Julian