[rfc-i] Author email identity - Re: summary of Removing postal information from RFCs

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:21:05 PDT 2021

On 20-Jul-21 05:57, John R Levine wrote:
>> If a bis inherits the mayority of its text from an original RFC
>> where the author has died. What do you suggest to do wrt to authorship,
>> and are you willing to claim that your suggestion is compliant with
>> copyright law ?
>
> We definitely have the rights to use all RFCs published since 2005, and
> probably all the ones since 1998 since they were published with an ISOC
> copyright and ISOC assigned its rights to the IETF Trust.  If it's older
> than that, we may or may not depending on whether the author assigned the
> rights to the trust.  Some have, some haven't.  In the US where RFCs are
> published, for copyright purposes it makes no difference whether a
> publication names its author(s).

RFC5378 was also something of a milestone. It's worth noting that
<rfc ipr="pre5378Trust200902"> produces the appropriate disclaimer,
useful for bis documents with lost authors from before Nov 2008:

   This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
   Contributions published or made publicly available before November
   10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
   material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
   modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
   Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
   the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
   outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
   not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
   it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
   than English.

       Brian