[rfc-i] Author email identity - Re: summary of Removing postal information from RFCs

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jul 19 10:57:48 PDT 2021

> If a bis inherits the mayority of its text from an original RFC
> where the author has died. What do you suggest to do wrt to authorship,
> and are you willing to claim that your suggestion is compliant with
> copyright law ?

We definitely have the rights to use all RFCs published since 2005, and
probably all the ones since 1998 since they were published with an ISOC
copyright and ISOC assigned its rights to the IETF Trust.  If it's older
than that, we may or may not depending on whether the author assigned the
rights to the trust.  Some have, some haven't.  In the US where RFCs are
published, for copyright purposes it makes no difference whether a
publication names its author(s).

R's,
John

PS: Just FYI, I've been a technical expert in a lot of copyright cases
starting with Field vs. Google, the case that established that search
engine caches are legal, where the judge referred to me by name in the
decision. Just for fun I took the Harvard online CopyrightX course earlier
this year.  Where'd you learn about it?