[rfc-i] summary of Removing postal information from RFCs

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun Jul 11 19:33:07 PDT 2021

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Why do people want to do standards in the IETF rather just editing a spec in
> Google Docs or GitHub? One primary value that IETF adds is some kind of
> legal action due to copyright or patent claimed infringement, or anti-trust.
> It's the reason why there is a NOTE WELL.

FWIW, I have been a trustee of the IETF Trust for the past four years and
the identities of IETF contributors have never been an issue.  That's not
a very compelling argument.

In the RFC publication process, the only identity we verify is your e-mail
adddress, since you can't approve an RFC if you don't respond to e-mail.

Regards,