[rfc-i] Citing drafts

tom petch daedulus at btconnect.com
Fri Feb 26 09:28:25 PST 2021

On 22/02/2021 19:10, Robert Sparks wrote:

> On 2/22/21 2:15 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> On 22. Feb 2021, at 08:35, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Note that the recommendations are inconsistent, and that the first one
>>> (from the web site) adds a link to tools.ietf.org.
>> … which has served us well as a landing page for a draft.
>>
>> People like that page a lot because it has the relevant metadata and
>> links as well as the content of the draft.
>>
>> (The equivalent data tracker page has more, but less useful and less
>> usefully presented metadata, and it only has the first two pages of
>> the draft, because it was *not* designed to serve as the landing page.)
>
> Minor, but important note - it only shows the first two pages by default
> for concern (at the time it was made) about bandwidth for consumers -
> the site does allow you to control getting the whole draft on that page
> by cookie. I realize that's not useful (or is a negative) for making it
> the URL you might cite. But perhaps we should revisit at least the first
> part of the document cookie and either always serve the whole document
> there, or flip the default to always serve.

My pet hate is that I have to scroll to the bottom before I can tell the
system that I want the lot.

I always judge customer-facing web, e.g. for finding goods, purchasing
goods, by whether or not the button I need is on the screen, or whether
I have to page all the way up only to find I have to page all the way
down and maybe scroll left and right as well in order to get to the
button that is essential to progress.

It is amazing how many businesses impose this once I have decided that I
want to checkout and make a purchase!

Tom Petch