[rfc-i] contacts section?

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Feb 26 02:51:05 PST 2021

Am 26.02.2021 um 11:01 schrieb Miek Gieben:
>> The *original* intent was to <contact> to work exactly like <author>,
>> except that you place it as a child element of <section> (and you could
>> call that section anything you want). See
>> <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc7991bis-latest.html#element.contact>.
>>

> So the process then is that I add all the contacts in the text (if I
> need to reference
> them in the text somewhere) and then create a section and add a (sub)set
> of contacts that
> are then rendered differently?
>
> This also means I can't put attribution here? I.e. "Sam wrote section
> 5", because that
> would need to be in a <t> ?

You can do something like:

<section name="Contacts">
<contact fullname="Sam Whatever" ...>
</contact>
<t>Sam wrote <xref. .../>.</t>
</section>

>>> I was (naively?) expecting a Contacts section, just like the "Author's
>>> Addresses' that
>>> lists some more information, or another way to see that more information
>>> is available.
>>
>> There is no auto-generated section (and AFAICT, it's not needed).
>
> Just generating such a section with all the given metadata would make
> the element more
> useful (but IMO)

The style guide does not mention a specific format for contact or
acknowledgements. Thus it's up to you. <contact> allows you to insert
information to be rendered the same way as for <author>; that's all.

Best regards, Julian