[rfc-i] contacts section?

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Feb 26 01:35:41 PST 2021

Am 26.02.2021 um 10:27 schrieb Miek Gieben:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently added support for contacts in mmark and this allowed to
> play with it some
> more. This showed it's very hard to discover that a person named as a
> contact is in fact a
> <contact>. The txt and html rendering just show the full name of the
> person as if I typed
> that directly.

That's what happens when you use <contact> inside a text flow. This was
added relatively recently to allow non-ASCII characters in names.

The *original* intent was to <contact> to work exactly like <author>,
except that you place it as a child element of <section> (and you could
call that section anything you want). See
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-rfc7991bis-latest.html#element.contact>.

> I was (naively?) expecting a Contacts section, just like the "Author's
> Addresses' that
> lists some more information, or another way to see that more information
> is available.

There is no auto-generated section (and AFAICT, it's not needed).

Best regards, Julian