[rfc-i] rfc-interest Digest, Vol 196, Issue 22

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Tue Feb 23 09:15:35 PST 2021

Tom,

Let me distinguish between two types of use contexts:

(1) Trying to find relevant I-Ds, working with I-Ds, trying to
build new documents, and so on.  While there are design issues
and matters of taste we could quibble about and debate endlessly
(the issue of whether the home page for an I-D should show a
page or two or the current /latest version or the whole thing is
probably a good example).  For me, apparently like you, the
current datatracker setup is entirely satisfactory for that
purpose.   Moreover, even about those matters of taste that were
decided in a way that does not match my preferences, I worry a
bit about improvements because I'm used to doing things the way
they are now and making things better might me extra work to
readjust those habits.   There are also things that I think
would make it lots better.  For example, I wish the IESG would
strongly encourage a "Changes since the last version" appendix
and that the datatracker would pick that information up and show
the subsection for the most recent version on that first page --
far more useful than the complete document, which is only a
click away in any of several formats.

(2) References from RFCs.  These need to be, at least by
default, exact.  The flexibilities that are an advantage with
the above can be a liability here.  Why? Because it is not
unusual for the substantive content of an I-D to change as work
evolves and consensus emerges (or doesn't).  If, for example,
version NN of an I-D said "the outside of the bikeshed MUST be
painted blue", version NN+1 said "the outside of the bikeshed
MUST be painted lime green" and explained why, it would be very
important if an RFC that referenced it for color choices point
to the version the RFC's author intended and not some other
version.  Would it be important for the reader to find out that
there is a later version in which things might have changed?
Sometimes, but only the document author is likely to know.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:16 +0000 tom petch