[rfc-i] rfc-interest Digest, Vol 196, Issue 22

tom petch daedulus at btconnect.com
Tue Feb 23 04:16:46 PST 2021

On 23/02/2021 03:41, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 01:39 +0100 Carsten Bormann
> <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:
>
>>> I am having trouble completely picturing just what you have in
>>> mind, but, whatever you do, please keep in mind that
>>> references from RFCs are supposed to be completely stable.
>>> That means that, if I, as author, reference
>>> draft-foo-bar-baz-03 at the time of RFC publication, wherever
>>> the link points should produce draft-foo-bar-baz-03 and not
>>> its most recent successor, whether that is
>>> draft-foo-bar-baz-15 or RFC 9999.
>>
>> Yes, but the landing page for -03 could have pointers to newer
>> versions (I-D, RFC, Obsoleting RFC, …).
>
> I have no problem with that as long as the landing page
> unambiguously gets the reader to -03.  The current datatracker
> page for a draft does not have that property -- one gets a
> multiversion page that shows the most recent one and then has to
> figure out how to navigate back to a particular version.

For me, the datatracker page that I get to from a datatracker WG page
has the metadata that I need to work, whereas the tools page is sadly
lacking in that regard.  Yes, there is less metadata but I need that
missing metadata so leaving it out is counter-productive.

Also, from https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/<i-d name> I get what is to
me a clear display of the document history from which I can navigate to
(almost) any earlier version.  I am puzzled that there should be any
difficulty in clicking on the green or purple bar to select a different
version (except when the submissions window is closing and authors
submit three versions in under 24 hours and the bars shrink to zero).

I think that the datatracker took a giant leap forward at some point
from being unusable to being the best way into the work of the IETF so
my home page became Active WGs. I often want to return there so that
having the nav bar is most useful.

Tom Petch