[rfc-i] Citing drafts

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Mon Feb 22 11:10:44 PST 2021

On 2/22/21 2:15 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 22. Feb 2021, at 08:35, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Note that the recommendations are inconsistent, and that the first one
>> (from the web site) adds a link to tools.ietf.org.
> … which has served us well as a landing page for a draft.
>
> People like that page a lot because it has the relevant metadata and links as well as the content of the draft.
>
> (The equivalent data tracker page has more, but less useful and less usefully presented metadata, and it only has the first two pages of the draft, because it was *not* designed to serve as the landing page.)

Minor, but important note - it only shows the first two pages by default
for concern (at the time it was made) about bandwidth for consumers -
the site does allow you to control getting the whole draft on that page
by cookie. I realize that's not useful (or is a negative) for making it
the URL you might cite. But perhaps we should revisit at least the first
part of the document cookie and either always serve the whole document
there, or flip the default to always serve.

That said, the page you are looking for is probably going to be

datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/(whatever)

I am in the middle of significantly changing that to have the same
information in the header as the draft pages at tools, remove the normal
datatracker nav menu and tabs, and to follow the same general formatting
style in what's at tools.