[rfc-i] Citing drafts

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Feb 21 23:35:11 PST 2021

Hi there.

Looking at <https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/> I found:

> Referencing Internet-Drafts 	References to Internet-Drafts will list the series as Internet-Draft, will include the day of publication for the version referenced, and will include a URL to the HTML file (with no file extension). For example:
>
> [RFC7322bis]
>        Flanagan, H. and S. Ginoza, "RFC Style Guide", Work in
>        Progress, Internet-Draft, draft-flanagan-7322bis-03,
>        3 April 2018, <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-03>.

Looking at
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flanagan-7322bis-06#section-4.8.6.3>:

>    [SYMBOLIC-TAG] Last name, First initial., Ed. (if applicable) and
>    First initial.  Last name, Ed. (if applicable), "I-D Title", Work in
>    Progress, Internet-Draft, draft-string-NN, Day Month Year.
>
>    Example:
>
>    [RFC-STYLE] Flanagan, H. and S.  Ginoza, "RFC Style Guide", Work in
>    Progress, Internet-Draft, draft-flanagan-style-04, 27 September 2019.

Note that the recommendations are inconsistent, and that the first one
(from the web site) adds a link to tools.ietf.org.

(I'll also note that inserting a comma between "Internet-Draft" and the
draft name is yet another "special case" for IETF documents which does
not seem to have a good reason).

Best regards, Julian