[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:52:50 PST 2021

On 22-Feb-21 11:05, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, at 13:45, John Levine wrote:
>> The universal custom in bibliographies is to cite a name the way it's
>> written in the original publication, [...]
>> https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2017/05/whats-in-a-name-inconsistent-formats-and-name-changes.html
>
> Thanks John, that is a good explanation.

For American psychologists, at least :-).

Incidentally, xml2rfcv3 has created a new question for us in this area.
I quote the RFC Editor's recent AUTH48 message to me:

> 1) <!-- [rfced] First page:  Because Brian Carpenter's name has to date
> been listed as "B. Carpenter" in published RFCs, we updated the
> "author initials" entry in this document to do the same.  Please let
> us know if you prefer "B.E. Carpenter" on the first pages of RFCs
> going forward.
>
> Original:
>  B.E. Carpenter
>
> Currently:
>  B. Carpenter -->

Previously, xml2rfcv2 just discarded the second initial, so this
question didn't arise. Apparently, the RFC Editor's policy is "ask
the author". This isn't a complaint, just an observation.

Regards
   Brian