[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

tom petch daedulus at btconnect.com
Thu Feb 18 08:45:39 PST 2021

On 18/02/2021 10:04, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
> Hi Martin, hi all,
>
>> On 18. Feb 2021, at 09:57, Martin Thomson <mt at lowentropy.net> wrote:
>>
>> For the moment however, I just want to know if manually rewriting oe to ö would be a reasonable thing to do.  I think that it would.
>
> I don’t think I have strong opinion on the general topic, but as someone with an Umlaut in my own name, I'm not sure I would recommend to just do it. Given this problem has existed for a long time I know people who have used the oe variant in publications consistently in the past and prefer to keep it that way.
>
> For me personally I try to use ü where possible but I don’t might the ue form because that is actually equivalent in German (and I often still have to use when I buy flight ticket and stuff). I know that’s really confusing for non-Germans (also given this is not the notation used in other countries that have Umlaute) but changing it in the reference while still having it different in the original document seems equally confusing to me.
>
> Just my 2c.

I think that this is a really bad example.  I am an English speaker and
know no German but would immediately recognise the change, in
presentation format, from umlaut to *e because it is so widely used.
But that change is unique - I can think of no other such case,
especially with French diacritics, where I have some ability to read the
language, or with the Scandinavian languages, where I cannot recall
seeing the characters with diacritics rendered into ASCII (although
there are lots of Scandinavian contributors to the IETF); and where the
same character from different Scandinavian languages is transliterated
into different characters in e.g. German.  It is a minefield and I do
not find the RFC solution - Go read the PDF - at all attractive.

I think that the Chinese have the right idea where all those whom I have
got to know tell me of the name they have chosen, which is ASCII, and
how it relates to their Chinese name, which looks like a few thousand
other Chinese names to me (and really is no help to me in identifying
them when using e-mail, I-Ds and such like).  A bit like turning the
umlaut into ASCII.

Tom Petch