[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Martin Thomson mt at lowentropy.net
Thu Feb 18 02:24:36 PST 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, at 20:11, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> > For the moment however, I just want to know if manually rewriting oe to ö would be a reasonable thing to do.  I think that it would.
>
> Hmm.  Some people are actually changing their names for various
> reasons; what do you do with that?

Well, this wasn't a name change.  It was the RFC format being unable to represent this person's actual name at the time the document was published.

> In academics, we generally keep the names as they were published in the
> referenced document (which is really bad for the citation counts of
> people who change their names).

I did almost have a name change in references too, for which I would probably have had a discussion with that person, but I think we're removing that particular reference.  I expect that the academic standard here you talk about is the right one, but I would still want to ask because I am uncomfortable with deadnaming in that way, at least without seeking permission (or maybe at least forgiveness).