[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Mirja Kuehlewind ietf at kuehlewind.net
Thu Feb 18 02:04:23 PST 2021

Hi Martin, hi all,

> On 18. Feb 2021, at 09:57, Martin Thomson <mt at lowentropy.net> wrote:
>
> For the moment however, I just want to know if manually rewriting oe to ö would be a reasonable thing to do.  I think that it would.

I don’t think I have strong opinion on the general topic, but as someone with an Umlaut in my own name, I'm not sure I would recommend to just do it. Given this problem has existed for a long time I know people who have used the oe variant in publications consistently in the past and prefer to keep it that way.

For me personally I try to use ü where possible but I don’t might the ue form because that is actually equivalent in German (and I often still have to use when I buy flight ticket and stuff). I know that’s really confusing for non-Germans (also given this is not the notation used in other countries that have Umlaute) but changing it in the reference while still having it different in the original document seems equally confusing to me.

Just my 2c.

Mirja