[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Martin Thomson mt at lowentropy.net
Thu Feb 18 00:57:04 PST 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, at 19:06, Julian Reschke wrote:
> There are two questions here:
>
> 1) Should we "fix" references to contain something that actually is not
> in the referenced document (such as a non-ASCII character in an author
> name)?

This was the only question I was asking, but you are right to ask the second as well, as it informs how we might manage the answer to this best.

For the moment however, I just want to know if manually rewriting oe to ö would be a reasonable thing to do.  I think that it would.

> 2) Should we change the published reference files to use v3 features
> (such as extensions to the content model and support for non-latin
> characters in names and titles)?

I see a few options:

1. Declare end of life for the v2 format and work toward getting fixed references.
   (with or without the first question being answered)
2. Make a new location for references in the v3 format.
  2a. Stop adding new references to the old location after a fixed date.
3. Let the tools manage the transition.

Option 2a is where I would try to go.  It's a little more costly, but it provides a clear upgrade path and a bit of incentive to follow.  I understand that people will want some notice, but we're far enough along with the v3 format that a little nudge is probably good.