[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Feb 17 22:27:25 PST 2021

Hello Andy,

On 18/02/2021 14:15, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
> Martin,
>
> If we positively know that the name was mangled, then we should use the
> correct name in references. And we should also make sure that an errata has
> been filed, and all metadata regarding the RFC has the correct name.

That's an interesting idea, but the RFC Editor and the Production Center
would probably have to say whether they are willing to support this. I'd
definitely be willing to help a bit.

> Just out of curiosity, did this RFC precede the AUTH48 process?

Probably not. What RFC 7997 is referring to is the use of non-ASCII. So
this isn't about simple spelling errors that could and should have been
caught in AUTH48, but about authors where the Production Center would
have refused to use the fully correct name (e.g. Dürst in my case) and
insisted on an alternative (Duerst in my case).

Regards,   Martin.