[rfc-i] Fixing names in references to old RFCs

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Feb 17 21:22:56 PST 2021

On 18/02/2021 13:57, Martin Thomson wrote:
> With RFC 7997, we can now include people's names in RFCs.
>
> But we didn't used to.  I have a document that cites an older RFC where one of the authors had their name mangled.  What do people here think about correcting the mangling when referencing that document from a newer RFC?

It's a tricky case. It would definitely be nice if the non-mangled name
would be used. One problem is that authors of new RFCs may be able to
fix some names, but not others, or that they try to fix some names, but
actually get the fix wrong (sorry, speaking from experience).

I think an official guidance from the RFC Editor would be desirable. If
authors fix the names and the production center unfixes them again in
the name of consistency, that would be just useless work.

Regards,   Martin.