[rfc-i] Mailing lists overlap - merge them ?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Feb 8 07:57:20 PST 2021

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> On 2021-02-08, at 10:36, Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
>> If the lists are not to be merged, then they are to be clearly separated.
>
>      +-----------------------+
>      |                       |
>      |   rfc-interest        |
>      |                       |
>      |                       |
>      |                       |
>      |                       |
>      |        ...............|..
>      |        : tools-discuss| :
>      |  ,------------------, | :
>      |  |     :            | | :
>      |  |     :            | | :
>      |  |     :            | | :
>      +--+------------------+-+ :
>         |     :            |   :
>         |     :            |   :
>         |     -------------|----
>         |  xml2rfc,        |
>         |  xml2rfc-dev     |
>

> Exercise for the reader:  Please disentangle!

If the truth were known, I suspect that the diagram would show that the
tools-discuss readership is almost entirely covered by rfc-interest and xml2rfc.

rfc-interest already excludes the IETF standards process and general IETF
organizational issues.  If it also sent the technicians to xml2rfc for technical
questions, then tools-discuss could be retired, and there would be little need
for double posting.

Roger

(Figure stolen from Carsten and adapted.)