[rfc-i] Mailing lists overlap - merge them ?

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Feb 8 01:36:45 PST 2021

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 08-Feb-21 09:16, Roger Price wrote:
>> This survey is very interesting, but the regular double posting shows
>> that the two mailing lists overlap too much.  I suggest merging them.
>
> Bad idea. This topic does indeed interest both lists, but rfc-interest covers
> much, much more than tools-discuss (and is not an IETF list, in fact). Also,
> tools-discuss covers more that document prep tools.

OK. But it would be interesting to know the overlap of the readership.  20% or
80% ?

About rfc-interest says: "...Topics appropriate to this list may include
formatting, tools, style, content, and indexing aspects of the RFC series...."

About Tools-discuss says: "A list for announcement and discussion of IETF
related tools"

That looks like tools overlap to me.  If the lists are not to be merged,
then they are to be clearly separated.  Roger