[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] Recommendation 9 from Results and analysis of the survey of I-D authors on formats and tools

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Sat Feb 6 20:42:02 PST 2021

On 7. Feb 2021, at 05:33, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:
>> There might be use for some nagging at the submission site, e.g.
>
>> To get nicer HTML output from the submission service, prepare your input using
>> xml2rfc --v2v3 to convert v2 XML to v3, or
>> kdrfc -3c to generate v3 XML from kramdown-rfc source.
>
> So, kramdown now does native v3 XML output?

I don’t think trying to do that would be a useful thing to put into kramdown-rfc proper.
There is exactly one document that knows what v3 is, and that is the source code of xml2rfc.
So it seems more natural to actually use xml2rfc to generate the v3.
(The downside is that I don’t get to fix any bugs in that converter quickly, but so far I have found only one.)

> I don't have to upgrade it anymore?

“You” don’t have to do that, `kdrfc -3c` calls xml2rfc ––v2v3 for you :-)
(Which leaves a draft-foo-bar.v2v3.xml in v3 format lying around, ready for submission.)

Grüße, Carsten