[rfc-i] tt and quotes-in-text : Re: What the text version is used for (was Re: The <tt> train wreck)

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Wed Aug 25 13:56:35 PDT 2021

Changing the subject again, because this is really now about tt, and the
other thread I do want to see continue.

The principle of not breaking the plain text doesn't really help with
this one - it's a new v3 artifact, and there are complaints about how
<tt> has been rendering in v3 plain text to date.

Ticket 300 doesn't really capture the history of the issue that led to
the change well. https://trac.ietf.org/trac/xml2rfc/ticket/647 does a
little better - there Martin makes the request to have the quotes
removed. We got to it, I think, from v2v3 turning v2 <spanx
style=“verb”> into v3 <tt>.

John did a survey of what the RFCs published so far and found that the
would have been legible without the quotes, so we moved ahead to do that.

As you can see Carsten doesn't think that's the right thing to do. He's
pointed to some cases that could be constructed where not having the
quotes would hurt, but it looks like those could be avoided. He's also
proposed that we add more format-specific layout tweaking attributes,
which is something the whole v3 effort has worked to avoid.

I'm not trying to argue for any outcome here - just trying to shed more
light on what this part of the conversation is about.

RjS