[rfc-i] What the text version is used for (was Re: The <tt> train wreck)

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Tue Aug 24 11:26:14 PDT 2021

Carsten Bormann <cabo at tzi.org> wrote:
    > What we essentially are discussing here is a way to point into a YANG specification.
    > Line numbers have been mentioned as one such way.
    > We do have a fragment identifier syntax for lines in (at least a plain) text file (RFC 5147).
    > But these are brittle.  Adding a line number every, say, 70 lines would also be disruptive.

    > However, a YANG spec is a structured document.  So why not employ the
    > structure of that document as a fragment identifier syntax?

That works for valid YANG, and we should do that.
And the HTML should get anchors in... but that's into "sourcecode",
"artwork", etc.

For internet-drafts (what are they? who cares...)   where the YANG might not
validate (or might not validate with the version of pyang that the DT uses),
how does not reference the problem part?

    > (And, as a side effect, having the full schema tree identifier handy
    > would also help with reading through 40-page YANG specs.)

It would be nice if we could reflow the YANG and syntax highlight it.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )