[rfc-i] xml2rfc line break

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Aug 18 09:03:42 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-18, at 17:01, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>> So while this may be confusing until one reads the grammar, this is at least somewhat consistent.
>
> Absolutely. My suggestion was to raise a ticket for the non-helpful
> diagnostics.

foo-broken.xml(623): Error: Element li has extra content: t, at /rfc/middle/section[2]/ul/li[1]/t
/.../foo-broken.xml(14): Error: Invalid document before running preptool.
Unable to complete processing foo-broken.xml

The line number turns out to be useful to me, as the XML editor is showing a validation error on the <t that follows text.

Creating useful error messages out of validation errors is generally impossible, as the grammar/schema has been abstracted of the information that could be used for a “why”/“what’s going on” part of the error message.

Grüße, Carsten