[rfc-i] xml2rfc line break

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Aug 18 07:59:21 PDT 2021

On 2021-08-18, at 16:43, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 18.08.2021 um 01:08 schrieb heasley:
>>> Or, if you actually want a list item containing two paragraphs:
>>>
>>> <ol>
>>>    <li>
>>>      <t>bunch of hooey</t>
>>>      <t>more hoo-ah</t>
>>>    </li>
>>> </ol>
>>
>> That works, but did not work for me originally and after your message I found
>> that I could not mix syntax like below.  Maybe using <t> throughout the <dl>
>> would work.
>>
>> <ol>
>>    <li>
>>      bunch of hooey
>>      <t>more hoo-ah</t>
>>    </li>
>> </ol>
>>
>> In all cases, the errors that it produced did not lead me to a solution.
>
> Raise an issue (-> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/xml2rfc>).
>
> Best regards, Julian

As far as I can see, there is no support for mixed content between block-level elements (to which <t belongs) and text/span-level elements anywhere in the v3 grammar.

There are a few elements that can have sequences of text/span-level elements *or* sequences of block-level elements:

blockquote (but not aside!?)
li
dd (not dt!)
td/th

So while this may be confusing until one reads the grammar, this is at least somewhat consistent.

(It doesn’t help that there are elements like <contact that are allowed in both block-level and span-level contexts and change their semantics based on that context.)

A cleanup is clearly needed, but it would not help with this example.

Grüße, Carsten