[rfc-i] The <tt> train wreck

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Aug 16 00:10:44 PDT 2021

Am 16.08.2021 um 08:56 schrieb Carsten Bormann:
> On 2021-08-16, at 08:30, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> what purpose does the TXT version
>> serve?
>
> That is indeed an interesting question, and one answer is in <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tools-discuss/BK7yyQoSbhnbYDYsyzjk_J2vufg>
>
> The question is, however, not so relevant to the discussion at hand.
> After a decade of trying to suppress the TXT version, it is still considered desirable by many even after the transition that was meant to make it less relevant.  So I would expect that, independent of any outcome of the discussion of the question for the reasons, the TXT version is here to stay.
>
> So, back to fixing the train wreck.

I agree that it'll stay; the question is what are the use cases, and how
does this discussion relate to these.

Decoration in plain txt was removed because it was distracting (it was),
and thus people avoided font changes altogether. If there was a
consensus what the TXT version is needed for, this would help us in
deciding things like these.

Best regards, Julian