[rfc-i] Next steps for draft-kuehlewind-update-tag

Robert Sparks rjsparks at nostrum.com
Fri Aug 13 07:00:30 PDT 2021

I plan to put together a draft on this topic, but will not be able to do
so until a couple of weeks from now. This is one of the things I
intended to say in that draft:

Instead of pursuing a change to the published metadata at this time, I
strongly suggest focusing the experiment on whether the desired
improvement in clarity can be achieved with prose. For the first
experiment, add a "Updates Consideration" near the beginning to any
document that might have used the new tags whether it uses the Updates
tag or not. Have the IESG ensure there is IETF consensus on what the
prose in that section says. If it turns out that the text to put there
becomes obvious and is easy to mechanically create, then we know what we
need to do with the metadata. If we continue to have long discussions
during evaluation about what the section should say, we know we need to
do something more than pursue this particular classification scheme.

I think running that for a year and reporting on what was learned would
be a great help to this conversation.

To be clear, this only addresses one part of the problem that I think
really underlies the discomfort you are working to relieve. If your
initial reaction is "but nobody's going to see that section", you're
feeling one of the other problems. Working this one out first is important.

RjS