[rfc-i] XInclude usage

Martin Thomson mt at lowentropy.net
Wed Aug 4 15:18:59 PDT 2021

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021, at 03:51, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Back in 2017, Julian Reschke asked [1] that we clarify the scope of
> a. Limit the usage of XInclude to XML only (parse="xml"), not arbitrary
> text (parse="text")
>
> b. Don't support fallback [4]
>
> c. Don't support XPointer [5]

I've always said that we should aggressively limit the capabilities we need.  I will note that XInclude is generally only used for intermediate formats, so the "interop" case for a limited profile is less than elsewhere.  Perhaps your tool just supports XPointer and that's OK.  It's even possible that it would be work to remove that capability from xml2rfc.

That all said, I support keeping it simple: this is the feature set we depend on (a lot), so this is what we should say has to be supported.  Nothing stopping a tool from supporting or even relying on more, but the resulting document wouldn't be for consumption by anything else.