[rfc-i] SVG P/S Feedback

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:16:24 PDT 2020

On 22-Sep-20 03:46, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
...> Basically there is a group of people who will write no code or even bother to understand the problem that nevertheless insist that the decision they took with no understanding of the issues five years ago must stand for all time.

That's a bit rude. I do agree that we should re-open the topic, but it's clear to me that we cannot possibly just say that any old SVG is allowed in RFCs. I am shocked by the amazing messes in the SVG produced by very common tools: what the heck is a large bunch of ECMAscript doing there just because the picture includes a circle, for example?

So there are going to be rules, like
 - no colour
 - no grayscale
 - no script
 - no external URLs
 - must be a viewbox and not width/height (to allow scaling)
and certainly more.

But first, I'd like a report on the experience of producing RFC8899.

   Brian