[rfc-i] [EXTERNAL]Re: [Bimi] SVG P/S Feedback

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Tue Sep 1 16:14:27 PDT 2020

Here is input from Serge Mister of Entrust Datacard.

The mention of fonts as a risk is interesting (I'd flagged missing-glyph as a risk for similar reasons; but it sounds like some renderers ignore the glyphs even if they are present?).  Personally I've had trouble generating SVGs (for work illustrations) that use fonts because the same fonts aren't available on the different platforms (e.g. Linux and Windows), so I agree that in practice logo designers would want to convert their text to curves (both to avoid rendering issues and to save space).

The SVG native effort does sound like it has similar goals.  Just based on reading the introduction it does sound like it would be nice to combine the efforts.  I wonder if there would be any funding (I'm thinking from BIMI) for adding support for the output format to InkScape.  That would go a ways to helping with adoption.  I don't know what it would cost.