[rfc-i] draft-kuehlewind-update-tag/

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Wed Mar 25 20:40:31 PDT 2020

The problem was to my mind very clearly stated.  We burn person-hours
figuring out what we mean each time any document gets tagged this way.
We want the relationship tags, so we can find things.  But our current
"updates" tag has multiple meanings, so people get very confused.

One choice would be to explicitly document all the meanings we use it
for, and say "this is what it means.  Sorry."

We could, I suppose, pick a single definition for "updates" and say that
from here on, that is what it means.  This has the drawback of leaving
outside folks confused as they will not know know of any flag day of
meaning change.  And leaves us with no coverage for the other meanings.

We could make up new terms, and try to specify more clearly their
meaning.  We then document that older documents used "updates" with a
range of meanings, and newer documents use "foo" and "bar" with the
following definitions that the community (presumably) has agreed and
which are more clear.  (Nothing is perfect, it is human language.)  That
is, as I understand it, what the document in front of us attempts to start.

I am sure that there are other choices.  (We are much too clever.)  But
I would prefer not to stick my head in the sand and pretend something
that regularly causes this much confusion is just fine.

Yours,
Joel