[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] contributors section & tools

Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Fri Jul 17 14:14:12 PDT 2020

Hi Toerless, Carsten, Adrian,

On 2020-07-15 22:03, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>> Any pointer into rfc7991
>> (i could  not find anything) or an actual XMLv3 RFC that does this
>> (your latest published RFC with contributors section does not use anything new).
> (RFC 7991 is a description of a snapshot in the development of
> RFCXMLv3. The current version is described in the source of xml2rfc;
> partially also in
> draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation-notes-10.txt (expired).

In connection with updating draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation-notes
over the couple of weeks, I've also added documentation to xml2rfc, generated
from:

   - the actual XML schema distributed with the tool
   - the differences between the current schema and the RFC7991 schema
   - the code's settings for which elements and attributes are deprecated
   - text snippets describing the schema parts and how the code handles them.

It will have new --doc/--docfile and --man/--manpage switches; the first will
generate documentation in the form of a v3 XML document that can then itself
be processed to generate the various supported formats. The second, --man, will
generate the documentation XML internally and then process it to text output
which is shown with a pager, like 'man'.

I hope this will help overcome the painful lack of documentation.  It is part
of the 2.47.0 release I've just uploaded.

Best regards,

	Henrik