[rfc-i] No, constraining to a custom SVG profile is not trivial

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:29:42 PST 2020

On 23-Jan-20 11:29, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> There does exist a system form mapping some colors into cross
> hatchings. See hatchings at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_(heraldry).

However, I think that realistically we can't expect IETF tooling to perform that complex a remapping (colour to cross-hatching). It really would need to be done with the initial drawing tool.

gnuplot, for example, supports setting monochrome linetypes when plotting multiple variables on a single graph. LibreOffice Draw supports cross-hatching. Unfortunately the SVG that it generates includes a construct (<path style="fill:url(#pattern1)"  .../>) that we apparently don't allow, even though it's an internal reference:

>>> The attribute 'fill' does not allow the value 'url(#pattern1)', replaced with 'black'

I know exactly where to patch svgcheck to allow this case through, but it will be a hack.

Not out of the woods yet. SVG-in-RFCs just isn't ready for production use.

    Brian