[rfc-i] No, constraining to a custom SVG profile is not trivial

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:31:42 PST 2020

On 22-Jan-20 06:03, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com> wrote:
>     > But the other point I will make is that 2014 is six years ago and the
>     > statement made then was that these issues could be reopened at a later
>     > date. I am simply holding the group to the promise made then that
>     > these issues can be revisited.
>
> I would support revisiting the question of a SVG profile... in 2021.
> Certainly by IETF110, with planning for that discussion at IETF109.
> So... after we have a new permanent RFC-editor.
>
> I think that the change to v3-XML under changing leadership is difficult
> enough as it is.
>
> In the meantime, in the I-D series, I think that we should tolerate a variety
> of SVG inputs, and we should encourage monochrome inputs, but not require
> them.

Until idnits does detailed SVG checking, that shouldn't be an issue. But what's the use when RFCs are constrained to black&white?

I agree that the lack of coloured shading is annoying for many people, but *using* shading is annoying for people with limited colour vision.

I have an example that Michael will recognise (see attached). The second version passes svgcheck, having been run through my fix-up code. This is what we lose by sticking to the current spec.

But the fact is that what we can do under the current spec is intentionally very limited. I understand Phill's annoyance but as you say, there is a lot of work & time involved in changing the spec.

   Brian