[rfc-i] Where was the discussion?

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Tue Jan 21 18:14:35 PST 2020

On 22 Jan 2020, at 12:53 pm, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

>  possible proposals to extend it?

It's probably good to be clear about what we mean about "extend" in the context of an XML format defined by Relax NG.

Any new attribute or element is going to fail validation using the schema in RFC7991 - there's not really anything to be done about that. So, a new schema will need to be written and published; effectively there is no backwards-compatible extension of that format, we need to "fork" it, not extend it.

Furthermore, the schema in that document is written in a way that AFAICT isn't terribly amenable to reuse; e.g., to add an attribute to an element, the entire element will need to be re-specified.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/