[rfc-i] Minor v3 question

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue Jan 21 11:32:06 PST 2020

On 2020-01-21, at 18:31, Joel M. Halpern <jmh at joelhalpern.com> wrote:

> What is the v3 syntax for a reference to a URL?  (The specific case is an IESG statement I have been asked to reference by the AD.)

I also think that hasn’t changed.

But I also think eref is generally not useful for cases like this.
I’d do a full references entry with a target attribute for the URL.

Kramdown syntax (reference as {{IESG-Historic}}):
  IESG-Historic:
    target: https://ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/designating-rfcs-historic-2014-07-20/
    title: IESG Statement on Designating RFCs as Historic
    date: 20 Jul 2014
    author:
      org: IESG

XML syntax (reference as <xref target="IESG-Historic"/>):
<reference anchor="IESG-Historic" target="https://ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/designating-rfcs-historic-2014-07-20/">
  <front>
    <title>IESG Statement on Designating RFCs as Historic</title>
    <author >
      <organization>IESG</organization>
    </author>
    <date year="2014" month="July"/>
  </front>
</reference>

Rendering:
   [IESG-Historic]
              IESG, "IESG Statement on Designating RFCs as Historic",
              July 2014, <https://ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/
              designating-rfcs-historic-2014-07-20/>.

(Tested with V2 because of some persisting brokenness in the V2-V3 converter, but this should work with V3, too, possibly with the full date.)

Grüße, Carsten