[rfc-i] No, constraining to a custom SVG profile is not trivial

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Jan 20 21:48:59 PST 2020

On 21/01/2020 14:02, Doug Royer wrote:
> On 1/20/20 12:32 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> It is not just the greyscale that is the issue. There are numerous
>> issues in the diagrams that result from the chosen profile.
>>
>> Compare the diagrams in:
>> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture-12.html
>>
>> With the originals in:
>> https://mathmesh.com/Documents/draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture.html
>>
>> Getting the diagrams to present properly is at least two weeks work
>> for me on top of the weeks already spent. And I am probably not going
>> to be the last person making this set of complaints. I am just the
>> first person who developed specs that depend on having good diagrams
>> in them.
>
> I think I understand your point, however the example you provided is not
> really an SVG vs RFC-7996-SVG comparison. I also agree some of the
> RFC-7996-SVG limitations seem extreme.
>
> The problem is the VISIO to RFC-7996-SVG conversion tool your using is
> selecting a wider font than the original. The conversion tool would need
> to get the em width, and match it up to a font with the same em width,
> or adjust the font size.

In SVG, there is actually a specific attribute for dealing with the
variation in overall width of a text depending on the font. It is called
textLength. Please see
https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/text.html#TextElementTextLengthAttribute. I
do not know whether this attribute is allowed in the RFC subset of SVG,
but it should be.

Regards,   Martin.