[rfc-i] No, constraining to a custom SVG profile is not trivial

Doug Royer douglasroyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 16:56:01 PST 2020

On 1/15/20 1:14 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I am just attempting to massage my diagrams to get them into the SVG profile. Contrary to the claim made in RFC7996, creating a completely non-standard profile is not a trivial matter.

If this helps, I use DIA (a program) to make simple SVG files (export as ...). I have not had the need to translate complex SVG files yet. I have also used this script on some Postscript -> SVG converted files.

It also works with DOT set of tools (ImageMagic command line tools): dot, neato, twopi, circo, fdp, sfdp, patchwork, and osage)

Attached is a simple XSLT script that I created that simply rips out invalid elements. It would not be to difficult to make it alter attribute values. Attributes like 'style' would take some extra work. So far, I have not needed that.

When I create the SVG files, I just don't use color and complex styles. If needed this could be expanded.

--
Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US)
Douglas.Royer at gmail.com
714-989-6135