[rfc-i] No, constraining to a custom SVG profile is not trivial

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Jan 15 12:14:37 PST 2020

I am just attempting to massage my diagrams to get them into the SVG
profile. Contrary to the claim made in RFC7996, creating a completely
non-standard profile is not a trivial matter.

It is not going to be possible to do the conversion properly short of
writing custom translators for each drawing tool or writing an SVG renderer
that uses the profile as backing. It is necessary to keep track of the X
and Y position and the current coordinate system and font size to perform
the processing right.

The specification is inconsistent and does not match the constraints
imposed by the tool.

WARNING:     1 --- element 'svg' does not allow attribute 'stroke-miterlimit'

That's not what the spec says.

attribute stroke-miterlimit { "inherit" | xsd:string }?,

Dealing with <tspan> elements requires the dx,dy coordinates thrown out by
my package (Visio) to be converted to align.

The range of allowed values for stroke varies from one element to another.
Sometimes "none" is allowed, other times not.

I am not going to be able to provide a general purpose conversion tool
because the problem space is simply too large.