[rfc-i] Proposed Program Description for RFC Editor evolution program

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Jan 14 10:20:47 PST 2020

I have some concerns about the way the process is working with respect to
the new format.

We can in theory include SVG images. Only we can't because the spec as it
is written is for a subset of SVG that no existing tool supports. So we do
not have SVG images, we have a private spec.

Yes, I know a clique decided that they only wanted black and white images.
But I think that decision should have been made by the IETF as a whole and
in full knowledge of the consequence that it would only be possible to
include images that were created by hand or with IETF-specific tools.

I want a process in which it is clear that the IETF is the community that
defines policy of that type.

And of course then we run into all the problems caused by all the silliness
that comes from the RFC series not belonging to the IETF only it does only
it doesn't because we continue to pretend that we are multiple
organizations and one organization.