[rfc-i] Feedback solicited: Update tags draft

Suresh Krishnan suresh.krishnan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 00:48:28 PST 2020

Hi Ekr,

> On Feb 28, 2020, at 9:23 AM, Eric Rescorla <ekr at rtfm.com> wrote:
>
> At present, I am not in favor of these changes.
>
> We already spend quite a bit of time debating which tags should apply when compared to the (IMO marginal) value of these tags, and this seems likely to make that worse.
>
> The "amended" tag in particular seems like a workaround for our refusal to simply update RFCs when they are wrong. The first rule of holes to stop digging.

The option to bis the RFCs will still exist and the IESG can still guide people to do that. The goal of the Amended tag is to point implementers to other RFCs that are mandatory to implement. Right now Updates is being used both for optional extensions as well as for mandatory changes and the goal is to disambiguate this.

Regards
Suresh