[rfc-i] Archival format to rfc-interest and the IAB

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:44:53 PST 2020

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 3:34 PM Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, Sarah, I am simply incapable of understanding where this fits
> into "oversight".

Please re-review the initial message, especially this bit:

It could be that having multiple such formats in the corpus of RFCs will be
> an acceptable outcome; or, a decision could be made to re-publish the
> affected "interim format" RFCs in the final v3 format. We don't believe
> it's necessary to make that decision now, but we're sharing this
> information with the broader community for discussion.

The RSOC is not making a decision here, it is ensuring that the community
knows the topic needs discussion.

> If it's anybody's problem operationally, it's John Levine's; and if there
> is a strategic concern it presumably belongs to the IETF Trust, which owns
> the IPR and therefore needs to be concerned about the long-term integrity
> of documents.

The IAB has published the format documents historically, not the trust.
This is a question ultimately about the formats in the RFC series, not the
IPR conditions under which they are licensed.

best regards,

Ted Hardie