[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-fiftyyears-00

Joe Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Sat Oct 20 10:14:33 PDT 2018

On Oct 20, 2018, at 8:25 AM, Heather Flanagan <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> A -00 has been submitted for the Fifty Years of RFCs. This has been a fascinating document to pull together, and how did nearly fifty years pass since RFC 1 already??

And only 20 (this month) since we lost Jon, whose impact on the series has now been reduced to the following three sentences (with context in the last case):

The editorial staff went from one person, Jon Postel, to a team of
   five to seven.
Jon Postel took over the care and feeding of the RFCs,
   evolving the process and adding collaborators over the next twenty-
   seven years.
...different individuals stepped up to take on roles necessary
   to keep the process of specification development organized and open.
   ... This was mostly Jon Postel, doing the work of names and
   numbers, as well as working as the editor of RFCs, but there were
   also individuals and institutions supporting the IETF's Secretariat
   function.
Yes, the doc cites others source that provide more information, but it also repeats information here that has been published before.

IMO, his impact and influence on the series should be noted -- with a description more befitting its significance — in ANY retrospective.

Joe