[rfc-i] Non-ASCII characters in txt RFCs

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 5 05:46:38 PST 2018

On 11/5/2018 5:43 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> So what is the safe convention for a single xml source code that will
>> get reasonable rendering in both html and txt?
>
> You'd use
> <https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7991.html#element.author.attribute.asciiFullname>
> etc.
>
> ...and make sure you run a version of xml2rfc that supports v3 (and pass
> the right command line switch).
>
> But, in your case, I think all that's needed is to allow xml2rfc to
> produce UTF-8 (command line switch "-u").

Julian,

Thanks for the quick response.

While your suggestion looks fine for 'private' situations, the problem
here is that I have no control over which txt rendering engine is run or
how it is configured.

I submitted the xml and the problematic output was generated by the
engine and configuration run by the I-D submission process...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking