[rfc-i] Reminder: RFC++ BoF

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Mon Jul 16 07:09:34 PDT 2018

On Jul 16, 2018, at 09:48, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been a while since I had to sit on the floor in an IETF session ;-)

Fortunately, I can’t come because somebody put a side meeting on top that I can’t miss.

I don’t know whether there is a venue to discuss this BOF beforehand.
Maybe somebody can take my thinking to the microphone this evening.

(1) We have a problem with people out there understanding what an RFC is.
    (Mostly because it takes a long time for people to become familiar with the rules that apply.)

(2) We don’t like that, so we change the rules and create more confusion.

(3) Profit.

I have a missing link between 2 and 3.

And I’m sure we’ll do (2) more than once, because of unintended consequences.
In effect turning a very stable, incredibly valuable resource, the RFC series, into a mess.

Don’t do that.

Grüße, Carsten